New Reviews
Captain Corelli's Mandolin
Les Misérables
Quartet
Chernobyl Diaries
The Cabin in the Woods
Balibo

A Walk to Remember (2002)

Teen troublemaker meets good girl and gets more than he bargained for.

Directed by:

Adam Shankman

Rating: 8/10

Running Time: 98 minutes

US Certificate: PG UK Certificate: PG

On DVD

Country: United States

Landon Carter (Shane West) is a big name in the school in-crowd – an aimless, moody, troublemaker who breezes through school making the most of his popularity. One night, he dares a boy to jump into a reservoir in order to join his gang. When the prank goes wrong with the boy ending up in hospital, Landon is given community service to do – he is assigned to tutor disadvantaged students on the weekends and to participate in the Drama Club's spring play. This throws him together with Jamie Sullivan (Mandy Moore), a girl who he has known all his life but ignored.

Serious, conservative, and daughter of the town's church minister, Jamie (Moore) is as far from cool as she can possibly be, and doesn't care – she knows where she is going and what she wants to do with her life. Struggling with the lines of the school play, Landon is forced to ask Jamie for help. In spending time together, Landon learns to worry less about what others think of him and more about doing what he feels is right. The two become friends and a relationship develops. However, Jamie has a very big secret she must keep from Landon – one that will get in the way of their romance and destroy their future together.

The “cool kid meets misfit and falls in love” story has been done many times, but this is a fine example of the genre. Both West and Moore produce likeable characters with depth. They also make the most of the script, which has a twist or two which makes it stand out from the crowd. Starting out as a lightweight teen movie, it develops into a fine right-of-passage fable which is surprisingly worthwhile.

Based on the best-selling novel of the same name by Nicholas Sparks.

It's Got: Strong performances from West and Moore.

It Needs: A bit more on Landon’s background with his father.

DVD Extras Could use a director’s commentary. Extras: Cast and crew interviews, A day on the set of A Walk to Remember, Trailer, TV spots. DVD Extras Rating: 7/10

Alternatives:

10 Things I Hate About You, She's All That

Summary

It’s been done before, of course, but this movie does it much better than most. Those who love teen romances will enjoy this film, but don’t overlook it if the genre doesn’t usually appeal. This film will please a much wider audience than one might expect – including adults – and even the men may need a tissue for the ending.

Database ERROR: Access denied for user ''@'localhost' (using password: NO)Database Error: Access denied for user ''@'localhost' (using password: NO)

54 Comments

1. sakli!
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 5:27 pm | Permalink

it is the best movie of romance!

2. Taylor
    Posted October 26, 2009 at 3:51 pm | Permalink

i love this movie.

3. jenn
    Posted November 22, 2009 at 3:37 pm | Permalink

It is one of my all time fav movies. I t ranks up there with dirty dancing.

4. Sahannnnaaa
    Posted November 30, 2009 at 12:37 am | Permalink

I LOVE THIS MOVIEEE !

5. SILVIA :D
    Posted December 10, 2009 at 12:40 am | Permalink

isss thee beest MOOVIE
    in the WOORLD 😀
    the end make me cry D;

6. cynthia lau
    Posted December 26, 2009 at 11:10 pm | Permalink

I LOve This Movie I Litterlly Cried I Swear!UGHH Haha Now I Can’t Stop Watching It;)

7. fanny
    Posted January 2, 2010 at 10:40 am | Permalink

seriously, this is a bad movie, also she looked ridiculous in that outfit, ok… she was a fathers or whatever is called daughter, but she doesn’t had to wear like that :S

I REALLY HATE IT!!!!!!!!!!!
    STUPID MOVIE

🙂

8. shr
    Posted January 24, 2010 at 8:20 pm | Permalink

This is the best movie till date… worth watching it.

9. Olivia
    Posted February 18, 2010 at 3:27 am | Permalink

I love this movie so much and whats really weird I know have the people who commented on this…weird haha 😛

10. Posted March 8, 2010 at 6:58 pm | Permalink

i love this movie 😀

11. Posted March 8, 2010 at 11:17 pm | Permalink

Me and my girlfriends first movie similar to how we met, weirdly looks extremely like mandy moore also, GREAT MOVIE (”,)

12. Posted March 8, 2010 at 11:19 pm | Permalink

13. hi there
    Posted March 15, 2010 at 12:19 pm | Permalink

I love this film so much 🙂 it made me cry so many times, i remmeber watching it when i was little and thought i would again, but i didnt remember it being that sad but so good! my favourite film ever! 🙂 even men would cry at it!

14. Vlee
    Posted March 23, 2010 at 3:42 pm | Permalink

Trust me, I’m a male and known for being very guarded with my emotions and this movie made me cry…..like a little girl…. my gosh…

This movie is definitely worth watching.

15. Ray
    Posted April 26, 2010 at 3:36 pm | Permalink

i love this movie.Landon is so hottt!!

16. karma lodrey zangmo
    Posted May 8, 2010 at 4:27 pm | Permalink

dis movie is too…….. good! i realy luv it!! it wil reamaim as my all tym fav……….

17. manoj
    Posted May 23, 2010 at 9:45 am | Permalink

this movie is really good movie its touch ur heart
    its best part is when landon ask to jemmy r u scare ?

18. asanjeybutt
    Posted July 11, 2010 at 1:59 pm | Permalink

this the best love story i have ever saw ….its really emotional !!!!

19. rebecca
    Posted July 11, 2010 at 7:10 pm | Permalink

Best movie, inspired me to be like Jamie. Find my landon… They’ve proven True love does exist…even if its based on a fictional story. I want my landon.

Very emotional, just been crying watching the parts it made me cry the most. (Ending, and where Landon asks Jamie to marry her) Very tearful moments.

Loved the movie, will be getting the Book to read. I’m in love with it!
    Best teenager heartbreak romance movie ever!!!! 😀 <3

20. Posted July 16, 2010 at 4:43 am | Permalink

I love this movie to….dose anyone nw were to get the book

21. Posted July 19, 2010 at 1:03 pm | Permalink

OK, I read the book, by Nicholas Sparks, and that was an amazingly well-written book. It was fantastic. However, I think the movie is horrible compared to the book. I think it abused the book, because it was so bad. The characters have changed unnecessarily, and so has the story line. I was extremely disappointed at how Landon was portrayed, as opposed to the book, and also Jamie. The play also was completely different as well. I think the movie sucked the whole point that Nicholas Sparks was trying to convey through the book. If I had to rate it, I would give it a 0 out of 10.

22. Beth
    Posted August 7, 2010 at 5:00 pm | Permalink

This is probably my favourite movie ever. I cried nearly all the way throught it . Shane West is gorj and both Shane and Mandy gave brilliant performances.

23. Tiffany
    Posted September 20, 2010 at 7:16 pm | Permalink

I agree that the movie isn’t anything like the book. But I disagree that it should be rated a 0 of 10. It’s an overall great movie, and many people wouldn’t even have wanted to read the book without watching it first.
    I think they did change some things, but it’s very rare that you find a movie going exactly along with a book.

24. Lala
    Posted October 21, 2010 at 7:51 am | Permalink

I found my Landon last year. He was always the cold one, but I was never that sure. I saw something in him. He is actually the sweetest guy I know and soon we liked each other. He was known to be bad boy and I was known as the good girl. The school didn’t like us together but we didn’t care. Soon, the school kept saying things and everything and we couldn’t take it anymore so we decided to part ways. He left and I don’t know where he is now.

“it lasted forever, and ended so soon”

Everytime I watch the movie, I cry because Landon reminds me of him 🙁

25. Posted November 13, 2010 at 7:56 am | Permalink

This movie really sucks in comparison with the book !!!!
    I didn’t watch it all because it literrally abused the book, and am not sure Nicholas Sparks would accept seeing his MASTER-PIECE tunring to a piece of chit like that !!!

If i was to rate it, I would give it -100 / 0 !!!

26. Enn
    Posted November 14, 2010 at 1:18 pm | Permalink

I lov? this movi very much=)it is the best movi in the world=)

27. Enn
    Posted November 14, 2010 at 1:19 pm | Permalink

I lov? this movie very much=)it is the best movie in the world=)

28. Dave
    Posted November 25, 2010 at 11:28 pm | Permalink

I haven’t read the book yet. It’s on its way in the mail right now. But the movie… It tore me up. I want it remade in current time. There are drugs available now that would save Jamie. I have leukemia. The drug I take keeps it from getting worse. Sure, it was just a movie, but I would like to see a remake where Jamie would live and go on to have a life with Landon, have afamily, stuff like that. Its just too sad as it is.

29. khaled2ms
    Posted December 10, 2010 at 10:54 pm | Permalink

amazment

30. Meeeeee
    Posted December 20, 2010 at 12:01 am | Permalink

This movie is, by far, my favorite movie. The second best movie is ‘A Sorcerer’s Apprentice’, but this one wins by 1000000000000 MILES!
    This movie has EVERYTHING, romance, tears, laughs, LOVE!
    I LOVE Shane West in the movie <3

31. Sarah
    Posted December 30, 2010 at 5:57 pm | Permalink

I love this movie so much, I cry every time I watched it because its so sad, It is an awesome movie! I love Shane West and Mandy Moore together!! I hope I find my own Landon some day!!!:)

32. Kayk
    Posted January 6, 2011 at 2:25 pm | Permalink

I have read the book and I have seen the movie millions of times. I saw the movie before I read the book and I thought it was amazing, and I cried a ton! Then I read the book and it wasn’t to different from the movie, both made me cry. It’s one of my all time favorite teen-romance movie! 🙂

33. Posted January 12, 2011 at 12:08 am | Permalink

amazing movie with an amazing story linee.. i cant even describe in words.. youll only know what i mean if youve watchedd it .. ahhhh <3 <3 <3 😀

34. Posted January 12, 2011 at 12:10 am | Permalink

I am INLOVE with the movie <3

35. Me
    Posted January 23, 2011 at 3:11 am | Permalink

I’ve been watched this movie for several times, but I’ve never feel bored everytime I watched it. OMG it’s so marvelous! I lovelovelovelove it so damn much!

36. Leslie
    Posted January 23, 2011 at 11:32 pm | Permalink

Bad movie,
    Lame editing (the fadeouts and cuts at the marriage scene = horrible),
    Too much loud music (and over the top and just TOO MUCH),
    Tons of cliches,
    Too fast (Suddenly the words ‘I love you’, a race to marriage, ‘I have leukemia’ etc),
    Characters don’t develop naturally,
    High School – Love story without cleverness/inventive writing,

ConclusionL Fake sadness for people that are emotionally very unstable will love to cry all the way through. I don’t see why. Watch Up in the Air and The Notebook and you’ll regret watching this movie.

37. sammy
    Posted February 1, 2011 at 9:01 am | Permalink

this is DA BEST LOVE STORY EVER MADE!!!!! i LOVE this movie and i jus cant sotp watching it….<3
    love it and love the way jammie helped landon become a better person.
    <3 <3 <3 <3

38. kits
    Posted February 4, 2011 at 1:43 am | Permalink

love this movie…i saw it quite late but i jus luv it…i really wanna see shane and jamie working together in many movies…music is awesome and shane is winsome

39. Posted March 1, 2011 at 1:24 pm | Permalink

i really really love this movie XD

40. Posted March 11, 2011 at 6:11 am | Permalink

i really love this movie and i hope this story will last for century.

i love, love stories and I’m finding the story of a lifetime and finally i found my love story!

ang ganda-ganda talaga!!

41. Caitlin
    Posted March 16, 2011 at 3:30 am | Permalink

This movie is so touching and romantic and ahhhhhmazing(: I love it! I’m also doing an english essay on it, that’s how much I love it(:

42. Nicole
    Posted April 27, 2011 at 5:33 pm | Permalink

This is my all time favorite romantic movie. Whoever doesnt like this movie, I feel really bad for you. It just goes to show that you dont have a heart. This movie is very touching and it will have you in tears ;(!! To anyone who hasnt seen this movie, I totally recommand it, especially if your a sucker for romance. I also tell you to have a box of tissue around because you will need it!!!!

43. krunal
    Posted November 1, 2011 at 4:28 am | Permalink

GREAT MOVIE EVER:)
    AWESOME…!!!

44. fullromanc77
    Posted November 7, 2011 at 4:35 am | Permalink

Great movie!

45. Georgina
    Posted December 20, 2011 at 3:46 pm | Permalink

This film is soo moving! i love it!

46. anonymous chick
    Posted January 14, 2012 at 4:35 am | Permalink

from all the comments i have read it seems like who ever truly thinks this movie is great , hasnt read the book.mostly 9.99 times out of 10 the book is better then the movie.but regardless this movie rocked!i havent read the book but i know i will like it.i plan to read the book and look forward to how the author portrays it.

47. cindy
    Posted January 18, 2012 at 8:52 pm | Permalink

i really love that movie it make me cry :p

48. Nataliee
    Posted January 21, 2012 at 5:48 pm | Permalink

Best Movie Ever!!! So sad though, I cried my eyes out.. but I still love it! <3

49. liezel
    Posted December 30, 2012 at 9:19 am | Permalink

its the best movie ever!!!!!!!!!!!i just watched it from my phone and its really really great!!!!!!i try to buy the book.

50. liezel
    Posted December 30, 2012 at 9:19 am | Permalink

51. Mithuna
    Posted November 16, 2013 at 1:51 pm | Permalink

I felt like d love in this movie almost touched my heart,I would like to have Jamie like person in my life

52. Posted November 16, 2013 at 1:55 pm | Permalink

I felt like d movie almost touched my heart,I wish that I would have Jamie like person in my life

53. wishishane'sgirl
    Posted April 8, 2014 at 2:38 pm | Permalink

my friends and i, we’re all IN_LOVE with landon carter/shane west! he’s soooo much hotter than ryan gosling or the other actors out there

54. Posted January 25, 2017 at 11:25 pm | Permalink

A Villafranca di Verona e in vendita una stupenda villa singola con mq 3000 di terreno, mq della villetta 320 e finiture di alto pregio tra cui: riscaldamento a pavimento, impianto fotovoltaico ad alta efficienza, impianto climatizzazione, impianto allarme e videosorveglianza, serramenti di altissima qualita’ con tende veneziane incassate nel vetro, idromassaggio, due caminetti, pompa di calore.
    La villa e cosi costruita:
    P.Terra: salone, soggiorno, cucina abitabile, due bagni, 3 camere da letto.
    P.Interrato: in ampia e curata taverna, un locale studio, ripostiglio, cantina, sala bigliardo, bagno, lavanderia.
    P.Primo: due (bi locali) appartamenti con entrate indipendenti. Cosi composti: salotto con cucina, camera matrimoniale, bagno e balcone.
    La villetta, inoltre, comprende: un terrazzo coperto con riscaldamento a pavimento con un eventuale chiusura con vetrata ed ampliamento metratura casa.
    Completano la proprieta: posti auto coperti e scoperti. La villa e completamente recintata.
    Acquistando la villetta avete la possibilita di coprire completamente, se fosse necessario, il mutuo( che eventualmente stipulerete) del intera villa affittando i due bi locali situati al primo piano.